Thank you so much for signing our open letter to the Cabinet Secretary for Health and Sport, asking her to keep the promises outlined in the SNP manifesto. The full letter text is below:
Dear Cabinet Secretary,
As we look towards the next parliamentary session we also look forward to the continuation of our positive and constructive relationship towards action on general practice. We were pleased that the SNP made a number of pledges relating to general practice during the recent election campaign. As GPs we believe it is now essential that these are rolled out to ensure the future of general practice is protected for patients.
The key pledges that will make a real difference for general practice are:
• Increasing the number of GP training places from 300 to 400 a year and producing an action plan to fill these places.
• Growing the number of GPs in communities;
• Increasing the proportion of the NHS budget going to general practice, as declared by the First Minister;
• Encouraging students to work in the Scottish NHS after they qualify as GPs;
• Ensuring all GP practices have access to enhanced pharmacists;
• Recruiting at least 250 Community Link Workers to work in GP surgeries.
Our members have shown support to ensure these pledges are implemented in full and their signatures are listed below.
We request that you continue to work closely with RCGP Scotland and look forward to supporting our patients with the additional resources and actions laid out above.